Summer is that the time for giant batch salads! salad, Greek salad, and salad s like classic macaroni or this vegan Italian pasta salad is great for summer.
This vegan Italian salad is quick, easy, and filled with flavour. Fusilli pasta, fresh herbs, a vibrant array of summer tomatoes, tofu “feta”, olives, pepperoncini, purple onion and a basil dressing. It’s perfect for summer barbecues and picnics.
It takes but 35 minutes to throw together. Make the basil dressing and prepare the tofu while the pasta boils. Prepare the remainder of the vegetables while you marinate the tofu and chill the pasta. Once the pasta is cold, toss everything together and you’re done!
5-MINUTE BASIL DRESSING
The tangy basil dressing is predicated on the vinaigrette in our Greek salad recipe. Just throw everything into a blender and blitz until the dressing may be a creamy light green with many basil flecks throughout.
TIPS FOR FLAVOURFUL PASTA SALAD
- Cook the pasta longer than the directions suggest. Al denté is ideal for hot pasta dishes, but for pasta salads you want to slightly overcook the pasta. The pasta firms up a lot once it’s cold.
- Don’t rinse all the starch off the pasta. Give it a super quick rinse with hot water, just passing it under the water once or twice. It’ll help the dressing cling to the noodles but it won’t pick up so much that it makes the salad dry.
- Always mix the dressing into the pasta while it’s hot and then chill it.
- Corkscrew pastas like fusilli or rotini are ideal because they have lots of surface area to pick up the flavourful dressing.
- Soak raw onions in salt water and then rinse. This tames the onion flavour so it doesn’t overwhelm the whole salad. If you like a lot of onion flavour, just add more!